Sorry y’all, I had pre-scheduled the release of my blog posts at the beginning of the week, and apparently they didn’t go out. Since I didn’t have an opportunity to get on here and fix this little issue, you’ve been postless all week, and I’ve looked like the big bad meanie-poopie-head who just doesn’t care about your feelings. SO not true. I apologize profusely.
Now that that’s out of the way, on to today’s post (don’t worry, I’ll make sure you catch the glory of the other posts next week!). My hairdresser’s husband told her that there was something for her on the fridge. Not being a big sports fan, she knew that the World Cup was beginning very soon, and therefore wouldn’t raise her hopes too high that it was something exciting, like tickets to a broadway show. Thinking perhaps it was a lotto ticket, or a picture drawn for her by one of her children, she smilingly proceeded into the kitchen, expecting a little treat to brighten her day. The following is what she received.
Dear Wife, Partner, Girlfriend,
1. From 9 June to 9 July 2006, you should read the sports section of the newspaper so that you are aware of what is going on regarding the World Cup, and that way you will be able to join in the conversations. If you fail to do this, then you will be looked at in a bad way, or you will be totally ignored. DO NOT complain about not receiving any attention
2. During the World Cup, the television is mine, at all times, without any exceptions. If you even take a glimpse of the remote control, you will lose it (your eye).
3. If you have to pass by in front of the TV during a game, I don’t mind, as long as you do it crawling on the floor and without distracting me. If you decide to stand nude in front of the TV, make sure you put clothes on right after because if you catch a cold, I won’t have time to take you to the doctor or look after you during the World Cup month.
4. During the games I will be blind, deaf and mute, unless I require a refill of my drink or something to eat. You are out of your mind if you expect me to listen to you, open the door, answer the telephone, or pick up the baby that just fell on the floor….It won’t happen.
5. It would be a good idea for you to keep at least 2 six packs in the fridge at all times, as well as plenty of things to nibble on, and please do not make any funny faces to my friends when they come over to watch the games. In return, you will be allowed to use the TV between 12am and 6am, unless they replay a good game that I missed during the day.
6. Please, please, please!! If you see me upset because one of my teams is losing, DO NOT say “get over it, it’s only a game”, or “don’t worry, they’ll win next time”. If you say these things, you will only make me angrier and I will love you less. Remember, you will never ever know more about football than me and your so called “words of encouragement” will only lead to a break up or divorce.
7. You are welcome to sit with me to watch one game and you can talk to me during halftime but only when the commercials are on, and only if the halftime score is pleasing me. In addition, please note I am saying “one” game; hence do not use the World Cup as a nice cheesy excuse to “spend time together”.
8. The replays of the goals are very important. I don’t care if I have seen them or I haven’t seen them, I want to see them again. Many times.
9. Tell your friends NOT to have any babies, or any other child related parties or gatherings that requires my attendance because:
a) I will not go,
b) I will not go, and
c) I will not go.
10. But, if a friend of mine invites us to his house on a Sunday to watch a game, we will be there in a flash.
11. The daily World Cup highlights show on TV every night is just as important as the games themselves. Do not even think about saying “but you have already seen this…why don’t you change the channel to something we can all watch?” because, the reply will be, “Refer to Rule #2 of this list”.
12. And finally, please save your expressions such as “Thank God the World Cup is only every 4 years”. I am immune to these words, because after this comes the Champions League, Italian League, Spanish League, Premier League, FA Cup, etc.
Thank you for your cooperation.
BRIGHT AND FEISTY!!!! That’s all she had to say about it. LOL. WOW. So this is a warning to other women in relationships with World Cup Heads: Just try and stay the heck outta his way anywhere near game time or replay time (or hell, just move out for the month! lol) or beware: this notice will be coming soon to a fridge/desk/lunchbag near YOU!
Have a great TGIF today!